6 May 2008

Golden Oriole Day

Bev and his brother Neil went over to the island yesterday to take some food for the team and to do some work on the new generator exhaust. They were that busy, trying to finish the work before coming off the island with Colin (they only arrived about lunchtime) that they didn't manage to see the GOLDEN ORIOLE that flew past the Observatory at one stage.

That's devotion to duty. Miss out on a bird like a Golden Oriole in order to make sure visitors have electricity. Fortunately, Bev has seen one before, albeit abroad - but Neil hasn't.

The Obs. is looking into getting Satellite Broadband on the island so some of the residents can access the internet. Grants are being sourced and it is looking encouraging so it is hoped it won't be long before you will be getting reports DIRECT from the island. I had an email yesterday, asking if I could put more detailed information about the birds recorded on Bardsey, in the NEWS section. Unfortunately, my time is limited and I have to get the information from Steve by phone. I turned to this Blog as a way of doing something quickly, even when away from home and the PC as I can use the laptop which is more mobile. With the Blog I can access it from any online computer anywhere in the world and quickly do a note to you all - when I have some news.

In the not too distant future, we should have the facility for Steve to keep you updated on a daily basis. Isn't technology wonderful! (No, I hear a lot of you saying - and there are many times when I would agree)

Bevan

No comments: