29 December 2008

SIMON WALKER - OUR WARDEN IN 1990 AND 1991

It is with great sadness that I have to report this Xmas, the death of one of our Wardens, Simon Walker. His wife, Jan, tells me that he was diagnosed back in the early summer with cancer but that chemotherapy was unsuccessful. He died just after Xmas, on the 28 December. He was only 52 years old.

I have tried to contact all the people who I think were around on Council when Simon and Jan were on the island but let me know if you know of someone who would want to know and may wish to write to his wife Jan, or even attend the funeral. (No date yet arranged).

I am sure all our thoughts are with Jan and their young son Angus.

Bevan

2 comments:

The Hairy Birder said...

I spent a week on Bardsey in the autumn of 1991 when Simon was the warden. He was a lovely bloke and used to invite me and my mate up to his accommodation to drink his home brew! What an awfully sad loss.

Seumus

Bardsey Crier said...

Thank you Seamus for reminding us of his friendliness and his beer making expertise. Gwydion Morley (who worked for the Trust), living on the island at the time with Kim Atkinson (the artist), used also to brew beer and there was much friendly competition between them to everyone's delight.