17 February 2008

Book Early to Stay at the Observatory

Minus 6 degrees centigrade here in the Midlands last night but I doubt if it got to freezing on the island. Frost and snow are rare over there on the west coast of Wales. We did have snow last winter - only lasted for a few hours - but Steve was able to record it for posterity with his camera - see http://www.bbfo.org.uk/wardensteve.htm

Talking of Steve, he is still off the island but if you haven't had a chance to see him on his tour of the UK giving talks about the Observatory (he had good audiences at Nottingham and Sheffield recently), then he will be at our AGM in Criccieth next Saturday afternoon (Council meeting in the morning for those who are Council members).

Even if you are not a member of the Friends of Bardsey, you will still be welcome to join us at 2 pm on Saturday 23 February, at The Marine Hotel, Castle Street, Criccieth. Even the "Bardsey Crier will be there" :-)) - but he will have his bell muffled. Some important items will be on the Agenda, including the election of a new President of the Observatory. I wonder who it will be? All this strain on the Vice Presidents is getting too much they tell me - they need a boss!

See you on Saturday - you can all buy me a drink. I won't be driving :-))

Bevan

1 comment:

Steve Stansfield said...

Hi all,

Connor, Emma and I are busy packing getting ready to go back to the island shortly after the council meeting. I will be attending a meeting of the scientific commitee of the island on the Fiday afternoon and staying in Pwllheli overnight.

As Bevan has mentioned I have been touring the UK with my talk about Bardsey. I had 25 people turn out from Cambrian Ornithological Society, about 60 from Bangor Bird Group, 28 members of Nottingham Birders turn out and 26 members of the Sorby Natural History Society in Sheffield. We managed to sell a few bits of Obs 'stuff' and hopefully got one or two new members and visitors out of the work.

So I hope to see some of you at the meeting on Friday and the rest of you on the island during the year.

Steve Stansfield BBFO Warden